Last updated: 26 June 2020
Who we are – IELTS Owners
The IELTS Owners are the British Council, IELTS Australia Pty Ltd (ABN 84 008 664 766), (wholly owned by IDP Education Ltd) and Cambridge Assessment English (Part of the University of Cambridge).
This Privacy Statement describes how the IELTS Owners collect and use your personal information that we obtain when you register to sit an IELTS Indicator test. It is intended to provide further information on how your personal data is used and supplements any information the IELTS Owners provided to you at the point when your personal data was collected.
Types of Information collected
Remote proctoring is used to ensure test integrity and prevent malpractice, for fraud prevention. Proctoring services are provided by Inspera. Audio and video from the test taker’s webcam and microphone, as well as a recording of the test taker’s computer screen, is captured throughout the Listening, Reading, Writing test for proctoring purposes.
The IELTS Owners use Zoom to support video and audio communications for the delivery of the Speaking component of the IELTS Indicator test. No digital recording of the Speaking test via Zoom will be made.
IELTS Indicator Testing
If you apply to take, or have taken, an assessment service provided by, or through, the IELTS Owners we will collect personal details such as name, postal and email addresses, date of birth, gender, contact details, languages, country of nationality, residency status, education qualifications, national identity card number, passport details, employment history occupation, information required for visa application and professional memberships. If you are aged sixteen or seventeen years and taking the IELTS Indicator test we will additionally collect the personal details of your chaperone for the Speaking test, such as name, date of birth and relationship to test taker.
This will include copies of documents you provide to us as proof of identity – e.g. copies of your passport or national identity card, proof of citizenship.
We may also hold Sensitive Information about individuals including:
- medical information (which you may provide to obtain special consideration in relation to your testing)
- biometric information for IELTS Indicator test takers who provide a visual image of their face at the beginning of the IELTS Indicator test for identity verification purposes, and video, audio and screen recording during the test for proctoring
- racial or ethnic origin (from information on your country of origin).
In the case of individuals who have taken an assessment service provided by, or through, the IELTS Owners, results achieved by the individual will also be held.
In other Dealings with the Owners
We may also collect personal details such as name, postal and email addresses, contact details, languages, country of nationality, education qualifications, occupation, and professional memberships if you:
- register your interest in being engaged as consultants, or individuals who have been, or are currently, engaged as consultants on projects/programs managed by the IELTS Owners (or the IELTS Owners together with other organisations).
- register to participate in an event organised, managed or presented by the IELTS Owners, whether in its own right, or under contract for another organisation.
- provide your contact information to receive information on the services we provide on IELTS and IELTS related product and services.
We collect your Personal information to allow us to:
- administer your IELTS Indicator test
- protect test integrity and prevent fraud
- inform you of and provide you with information on the services we provide (including events and opportunities to participate in projects/programs)
- use your information in an anonymous form, for informational, research, statistical and training purposes for the development of Cambridge Assessment English examinations
- manage our internal business operations
- respond to your questions.
Legal Basis for Processing your personal data
We will only process personal data where we have a lawful basis to do so. The basis for processing your personal data varies depending on the activity we collected it for. In some occurrences, we may have more than one lawful basis for processing.
The information below summarises the basis on which the IELTS Owners process personal information:
The IELTS Owners process personal data which is necessary for the performance of a contract for your IELTS Indicator test. This includes, but not limited to, IELTS registration, identity checks, test administration.
The IELTS Owners process personal data which is necessary to comply with legal obligations. This includes, but is not limited to, providing personal information to regulators, law enforcement agencies and statutory bodies.
The IELTS Owners process personal data in order to meet our legitimate interests as a global provider of the IELTS tests. This includes, but is not limited to responding to general enquiries, supporting test takers, preventing fraudulent activity and improving our services.
The IELTS Owners process personal data where you have provided your consent to do so. For example, where your personal data is used for marketing purposes. You may withdraw consent at any time.
Special Category personal data (also known as sensitive personal data) processing
The IELTS Owners will process Special Category personal data under the following legal bases:
The IELTS Owners process personal data with your explicit consent when you provide a visual image of your face for identify verification purposes at the beginning of the IELTS Indicator test, and video, audio and screen recording during the test for proctoring; and also where medical information is provided to support requests for special arrangements to be made in relation to your IELTS Indicator test.
The collection of your personal data in remote proctoring is required to prevent test malpractice and to ensure test integrity, for the benefit of User Organisations and the public in applying to User Organisations.
Equality of opportunity monitoring
The IELTS Owners process special category personal data to monitor equality of opportunity provision. Any such outputs from this processing would be aggregated and not identify specific individuals.
Special category data will only be shared on a strictly need to know basis in line with the individual IELTS Owner security policy.
Recipients of personal data
We also use other organisations to process your personal information to carry out services on our behalf. We use them to:
- Provide customer service, surveys and marketing
- Personalise our services
- Process payments
- Carry out fraud and other legal investigations
Where we use another organisation, we make sure that your personal information is protected and remains in our control.
The IELTS Owners may disclose the relevant information from your IELTS Indicator registration or IELTS Indicator test with:
- educational institutions, IELTS test centres, governments (including visa processing authorities), or professional bodies and commercial organisations that recognise IELTS Indicator scores
- with regulatory authorities for verification purposes, to protect the IELTS Indicator test and its stakeholders or where legally required;
- in certain situations, share personal information to government bodies and law enforcement bodies.
Where we do share personal information with these types of organisations we make sure it is protected, so far as it is reasonably possible.
Retention of personal data
We retain your details for as long as they are needed for the relevant purposes listed in the Purposes section. When retaining information for the purpose of administering the IELTS Indicator test
- all test results and records relating to your registration and sitting of the test, including your ID document, are held for 3 years after your most recent test result.
- video and audio recording of the test taker and their computer screen captured during the IELTS Indicator test is held for 60 days after your IELTS Indicator test
We may also retain certain records for other legitimate reasons (including after your relationship with the IELTS Owner(s) has ended), for example to resolve any potential disputes, to comply with other reporting and retention obligations, or for the prevention of fraud.
All the personal information that we collect and generate during the test (e.g. video and voice recording, your answers to the questions or the document to prove your identity, such as your Identity Card or your Passport) is temporarily stored on the device you take the test on (e.g. computer) and normally removed at the end of the test. If the test process is not completed some of this personal information will remain on the device until manually removed. For removal instructions click here for Windows and here for Mac.
Your rights in relation to your personal data
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
- Your right of access – You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information. You may not access material produced in your IELTS Indicator test.
- Your right to rectification – You have the right to ask us to rectify information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
- Your right to erasure – You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances and may not be possible when it comes to maintaining a record of your results.
- Your right to restriction of processing – You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to object to processing – You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances.
- Your right to data portability – You have the right to ask that we transfer the information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
- You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
For more information on these rights please visit the Information Commissioner’s Office website at: https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to exercise any of the rights detailed above.
For further details on exercising your rights in relation to personal data processed by the IELTS owners please see the privacy and data protection policies of the IELTS Owners for IELTS at: https://www.ielts.org/policy/privacy-policy
Website usage and other information collected on this website
Cookies used on this website
We use essential cookies which are those used for processes such as check-out and shopping baskets, and non-essential cookies are used for analytical purposes like counting the traffic on the site.
DOMAIN / COOKIE NAME / EXPIRES
www.ielts.org / ASP.NET_SessionId / When the browsing session ends
www.ielts.org / website#lang / When the browsing session ends
DOMAIN / COOKIE NAME / EXPIRES
.ielts.org / WT_FPC / immediately
.ielts.org / __unam / in 273 days
.ielts.org / _ga / in 730 days
.ielts.org / _gat_UA-719353-7 / immediately
.ielts.org / _gid / in 1 day
.www.ielts.org / ARRAffinity / When the browsing session ends
www.ielts.org / SC_ANALYTICS_GLOBAL_COOKIE / in 10 years
3rd party cookies:
.adnxs.com / uuid2 / in 90 days
.agkn.com / ab / immediately
.agkn.com / u / immediately
.doubleclick.net / IDE / in 25 days
.facebook.com / fr / in 90 days
.sharethis.com / __stid / in 1 day
.t.sharethis.com / pxcelBcnLcy / When the browsing session ends
.t.sharethis.com / pxcelPage_c010 / in 7 days
statse.webtrendslive.com / ACOOKIE / in 2 years
.youtube.com / GPS / in 30 min.
.youtube.com / PREF / in 2 years
.youtube.com / VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE / in 180 days
.youtube.com / YSC / When the browsing session ends
.www.youtube.com / nextId / immediately
.www.youtube.com / requests / immediately
IELTS Indicator Cookies
Zoom Essential cookies:
DOMAIN / COOKIE NAME / EXPIRES
__zlcmid / zoom.us / 1 Year(s)
_zm_ssid / zoom.us / Session Ends
_gid / zoom.us / 1 day(s)
_ga / zoom.us / 2 Year(s)
_zm_page_auth / zoom.us / Session Ends
_zm_currency / zoom.us /1 day(s)
cred / zoom.us / Session Ends
notice_behavior /zoom.us / Session Ends
_zm_mtk_guid / zoom.us / Session Ends
_zm_lang / zoom.us / 1 Year(s)
Inspera Essential cookies:
DOMAIN / COOKIE NAME / EXPIRES
__cfduid / www.inspera.com / 1 Month(s)
__cfruid / www.inspera.com / Session Ends
_ga / inspera.com / 2 Year(s)
_hjid / inspera.com / 11 Month(s)
_gid / inspera.com / 1 day(s)
_hjIncludedInSample / www.inspera.com / Session Ends
__cfduid / hs-analytics.net / 1 Year(s)
Most of the cookies that we use are “analytical” cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around the site when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily. None of our cookies store any personal information such as your name or address.
Cookies set up by Sharing Tools
Our website now carries embedded ‘share’ buttons to enable users of the site to easily share articles with their friends through a number of popular social networks. This site may set a cookie when you are also logged in to their service. The IELTS Owners do not control the dissemination of these cookies and you should check the relevant third party website for more information about these.
Turning off Cookies
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. Below are links to the ‘Help’ pages of major browsers which explain how you can do this. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site or any other websites that you visit.
Except for essential cookies, all cookies will expire after a period of time.
For more information contact: